You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You think you may be expecting
- The next period is much more than a week later
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You’ve got any sudden or unusual discomfort in your reduced stomach (this might be a indication of an ectopic maternity, where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive capsule may communicate with other medications. Included in these are:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medicines used to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) in order to make your belly less acid
EllaOne can not be utilized if you’re already using one of these simple medications, as it might never be effective.
Levonelle may remain utilized, however the dose may prefer to be increased – your doctor or pharmacist can advise about this.
There must be no relationship between your crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), used to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as 28 times afterward.
If you’d like to be sure your medications are safe to simply just take because of the crisis contraceptive capsule, pose a question to your GP or perhaps a pharmacist. Its also wise to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the crisis contraceptive tablet beforehand?
Maybe you are capable of getting the emergency contraceptive tablet prior to having unsafe sex if:
- You may be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You will be taking place vacation
- You simply cannot get hold of crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more information on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive unit made of synthetic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or being fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to crisis product, also it will not connect to any kind of medicine.
You can decide to have the IUD left in as a method that is ongoing of.
Exactly just How effective may be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are numerous kinds of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper and are usually a lot more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over five years can get pregnant. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but are nevertheless effective. The IUD works more effectively compared to crisis capsule at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who is able to make use of the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who have not been expecting and people who’re HIV positive. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your health background to test if an IUD works for you personally.
You should not make use of an IUD when you yourself have:
- An untreated STI or perhaps an infection that is pelvic
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after sex
Women that have a heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD shouldn’t be inserted if you have a danger you might currently be expecting. The IUD can be utilized safely if you’re breastfeeding, however the threat of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Which are the relative negative effects for the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are unusual, but can consist of pain, disease, problems for the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD will perhaps not respond with every other medicine.
Where may I get emergency contraception?
The emergency can be got by you contraceptive supplement additionally the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery that delivers contraception (some GP surgeries may well not supply the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A intimate wellness hospital
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some mail order brides young adults’s clinics (call our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
You may want to have the crisis contraceptive capsule clear of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some injuries units that are minor
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
The physician or nursing assistant the thing is may ask for the after information:
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your cycle that is menstrual
- The date associated with very first time of the last duration therefore the usual amount of your cycle
- Information on any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for example exactly how many pills you’ve probably missed, when)
- If you have utilized any medicines that may influence your contraception
If you should be aged 13 or over, you may get contraception from the greater part of community pharmacies in Scotland, often totally free. If you’re perhaps not entitled to NHS Scotland services, you can purchase the crisis contraceptive tablet from many pharmacies. The price differs, nonetheless it shall be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are maybe not making use of a method that is regular of, you may give consideration to doing this in purchase to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) provides the most dependable protection against maternity, and you also do not have to think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend what kind of emergency contraception you employ. There are 2 techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive product (after pill) – there are two types, Levonelle or ellaOne morning
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your typical approach to contraception has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized in the place of your usual approach to contraception.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having non-safe sex, the greater amount of effective it’s. To get more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive product
Levonelle can be acquired cost-free with no prescription. You will get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Utilize our nationwide provider Directory to locate nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or intimate wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You will get them from most community pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle could be taken within 72 hours (three times) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of experiencing sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or delaying ovulation (whenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having unsafe sex.
You take one tablet that is ellaOne. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for a egg that is fertilised implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) is present from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate wellness clinics (GUM clinics)
- Most GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned within your womb. It damages both the semen together with egg, and stops a fertilised egg implanting in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having non-safe sex, or, whether it’s feasible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most effective form of crisis contraception.
It is possible to keep carefully the IUD in as the regular approach to contraception, or a medical practioner can take it off throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be suited to everybody. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you are unwell
If you should be unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You might have to take another capsule.
Just How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and just how quickly it is used by you.
There are two main ways of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after capsule – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine device, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you yourself haven’t utilized contraception or think your typical way of contraception has unsuccessful.